Please answer the questions precisely and concisely. Every question can be answered in one or at most a few sentences. I will not have the patience to read long paragraphs or essays and you may lose credit for possibly correct answers.
- Text: Ross Anderson, Security Engineering: Chapter 4, pages 93–104.
- Access Control. General reading and for questions 1–3.
- Text: Ross Anderson, Security Engineering: Chapter 8, pages 239-top of 248 (through 8.3.3); 251 (8.3.5) - 252.
- Multilevel Security: Bell-LaPadula and Biba Models, for question 4.
- Paper: David F. Ferraiolo and D. Richard Kuhn, Role-Based Access Controls, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 15th National Computer Security Conference (1992), pages 554–563.
- The paper that introduced the role-based access control model. It’s short but you only need to read the first four pages.
(1). What is an access control list (ACL)?
(2). What is the purpose of the set user id (setuid) file attribute in Unix systems?
(3). What is the purpose of the wheel group on BSD and macOS systems?
(4). (a) What is the simple security property of the Bell-LaPadula model?
(4). (b) What is the *-property of the Bell-LaPadula model?
(5). What is meant by a role in a role-based access control (RBAC) system?