Please answer the questions precisely and concisely. Every question can be answered in one or at most a few sentences. I will not have the patience to read long paragraphs or essays and you may lose credit for possibly correct answers.
- Text: Ross Anderson, Security Engineering: Chapter 21, pages 644–652.
- Section 21.3: Trojans, Viruses, Worms and Rootkits
- Article: Panda Security, More than 21 million new threats in Q2 2015
- Discusses documents with embedded macros
- Article: Wired, Hacker Lexicon: What Are Phishing and Spear Phishing?
- Brief discussion of phishing
- Article: SecureWorks, Threat Group–4127 Targets Hillary Clinton Presidential Campaign
- A discussion of the spear phishing attack on Clinton’s campaign. You can also read this article at Naked Security.
Why did the Storm worm/Trojan propagate even though Windows warns users that the app isn’t signed and asks them if they really want to install it?
What is a polymorphic virus?
What is meant by an epidemic threshold of a virus?
In the example cited in the Panda security report, how did hackers convince people to enable macros in a downloaded word document?
Explain what spear phishing is.
How did the use of Bitly links help in the email hacking of the Democratic National Committee (DNC)?